This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Safeway. All opinions are 100% mine.
Beware! There’s a good chance you won’t be able to stop eating these Mediterranean sheet pan nachos. Goat cheese and a quick hummus dressing make the flavors pop.
Snacking season has arrived and I couldn’t be happier to include these Mediterranean sheet pan nachos into the rotation. Gathering with friends and family during the holidays or to watch a football game is something we’ve always loved doing. And let’s be honest – the food is always the centerpiece!
If I had my choice, every meal would be a collection of finger foods. Give me a table full of appetizers with a side of salad (hey, I can’t forget to work in the veggies!) and I’m a happy camper. Appetizers instead of dinner is right in my wheelhouse.
Whenever I’m putting together a spread for entertaining or just feeding my family, I head to my local Safeway store to stock up on their O Organics® and Primo Taglio® products. High quality with endless options!
All of the O Organics products are USDA-certified organic and non-GMO, while the Primo Taglio products are made with the finest ingredients, using traditional time-honored preparation methods. Plus, there are no artificial flavors or colors, or MSG.
What you need to make Mediterranean healthy nachos:
- Chips: Pita chips give these nachos some Mediterranean flair. Either wheat or regular pita chips with sea salt work well. In a pinch, feel free to substitute with tortilla chips.
- Goat cheese: While you can certainly buy a log of goat cheese, then crumble it with your fingers, Safeway makes life even easier. Pick up a container of either the Primo Taglio or O Organics crumbled goat cheese. All of the Primo Taglio cheeses use the highest quality milk and old-world recipes.
- Mini sweet peppers: These little peppers are so much fun. Stuff them with cheese and cooked seasoned ground turkey for an easier appetizer. In this recipe, slice them up and saute with onions and garlic. The perfect topping!
- Tomatoes & cucumber: For that Greek salad vibe, quarter some grape tomatoes, chop some cucumber and layer them onto the chips.
- Olives: Quarter some kalamata olives and sprinkle over top. If you’re not an olive fan, substitute with pepperoncini or leave them off altogether.
- Hummus dressing: Make an easy dressing by whisking together hummus, lemon juice, agave nectar, water, salt and pepper.
- Other options: If you prefer to add meat to your nachos, there are some great options in the Primo Taglio line. All of their meats use whole muscle meat with no binders or fillers.
Tips for making these sheet pan nachos:
Tip #1: Chips and cheese
Start by spreading the pita chips on a baking sheet. As much as possible, arrange them in a single layer, overlapping the chips slightly, so that each chip gets a good dose of toppings.
Evenly sprinkle the crumbled goat cheese over the chips.
Pop the baking sheet into the oven for 5 to 7 minutes. The goat cheese won’t become melted and drippy like shredded cheese. The goal is for the cheese to be warm and soft.
Tip #2: Prep the toppings ahead of time
Before baking the chips and cheese, prep all of your ingredients so that they are ready to layer when the chips come out of the oven. That way you can serve the nachos while the cheese is still warm.
Sauté the onions and peppers, chops the vegetables and olives, and whip up the hummus dressing.
Tip #3: Serve immediately!
Sheet pan nachos are best when the chips and cheese are still warm.
Either eat straight from the baking sheet or serve portions of the nachos onto small plates.
Are nachos healthy?
As with any recipe, the “healthy” factor is dependent on the ingredients you use, along with the portions consumed.
The beauty of these Mediterranean nachos is that the flavors of the ingredients really “pop” without going overboard on the amounts used. For example, tangy goat cheese has a robust flavor. That means a little goes a long way!
Drizzling nachos with a hummus dressing, rather than loading up on sour cream, adds flavor without as calories or fat grams. On top of that, hummus is a great source of healthy carbohydrates and protein.
I shopped at Safeway, but you can also find Open Nature and O Organics products at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, Safeway, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, Tom Thumb and Vons.
Safeway also offers Grocery Delivery and Drive Up & Go™ for convenient ways to shop!