Ditch the takeout and serve up a batch of this 30-minute low carb Shrimp Cauliflower Fried Rice! Your family won’t even know that it’s made with cauliflower.
Success was mine when my two boys, self-proclaimed enemies of “all things cauliflower” each ate an enormous helping of this shrimp cauliflower fried rice, then went back for seconds! Truth be told, they had no idea it was made with cauliflower rice. They thought they were scarfing up our usual fried rice recipe.
They’re both great veggie eaters, except when it comes to cauliflower and mushrooms. Mushrooms – my top-of-the-heap, slam dunk favorite vegetable. Like a dagger to my heart.
Needless to say, I was thrilled at their reactions to the fried cauliflower rice. And considering that this low carb meal only takes 30 minutes to make, I can guarantee that it’s going into regular rotation on our meal plans.
How do you make cauliflower fried rice?
- If you’ve made regular fried rice recipes before, this recipe will seem familiar. Swap in cauliflower rice for any other type of cooked rice.
- I like to include egg in my fried rice, so I start by cooking a very thin layer of egg in a large nonstick skillet. Once the egg is cooked, remove from the pan and cut it into strips.
- Next, cook the protein – shrimp, rice, pork and set aside.
- Cook aromatic vegetables – green onions, celery and carrots in this case.
- Next, add some sesame oil to the skillet and stir in the cauliflower rice. Cook until tender, adding the soy sauce halfway through.
- Stir in the cooked shrimp, frozen peas and cook for another minute before adding the crumbled bacon. A more traditional alternative to bacon is Chinese bbq pork, like in this recipe.
- Serve it up piping hot!
Frequently Asked Questions:
How many carbs are in cauliflower rice?
- If you’re following any sort of keto, low carb or paleo diet, cauliflower rice is a great alternative to regular rice.
- One cup of brown or white rice contains 46 grams of carbs, compared with 5 grams of carbs for 1 cup of cauliflower rice.
Can I used store-bought cauliflower rice?
Absolutely! Cauliflower rice can be bought in many grocery stores, either in the frozen foods or produce sections. If using frozen cauliflower rice, I suggest squeezing out some of the liquid with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
If you prefer to make cauliflower rice from scratch, check out the tips in this post.
Other healthy cauliflower rice recipes:
Sauteed Cauliflower Rice with Caramelized Onions & Spinach – vegetarian recipe
Wild Mushroom Ragout with Cauliflower Rice – vegetarian recipe