Comfort food at its finest with this easy, healthy and flavorful Roasted Tomato Basil Soup. Simple ingredients and simple instructions are all you need for a warm bowl of this delicious soup recipe.
My garden is officially exploding with tomatoes and I’m trying every possible tomato recipe under the sun! This roasted tomato basil soup is made with simple ingredients but is bursting with flavor.
One of the things I missed in CA was the seasons… I definitely can’t say that about MN! I love all of the seasons and find it so interesting how much my appetite aligns with the seasons. As soon as the leaves start to turn and there’s a refreshing chill in the air, I crave soup. This tomato basil soup is comforting without being super heavy… basically perfect for this season.
Here’s What You Need
- Tomatoes – the star of the show! This soup is best with in-season tomatoes. Get them from your garden or a local farmer’s market if you can for the best flavor!
- Yellow onion and garlic – the savory flavor bases of the recipe.
- Vegetable broth – make your own or use store-bought. In a pinch you can use water.
- Basil – I recommend using fresh basil for the best flavor but you can use dried if you don’t have any on hand.
- Olive oil – to roast the vegetables in.
- Red wine vinegar – acidity to help the flavors pop!
- Sea salt and pepper – to taste.
- Cream or coconut cream – optional but adds that creamy flavor.
How to Make Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
STEP 1: Slice your tomatoes in half and place them face down on a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast at 400ºF for 45 minutes.
STEP 2: Add oil to a large pot over medium heat and sauté the onions until translucent. Add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute. When the tomatoes are done roasting, add them to the pot (along with their roasting juices) with the onions and garlic along with the broth, basil, salt, pepper and red wine vinegar. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer for 20 minutes.
STEP 3: Turn off the stove top and let the soup cool slightly before blending with an immersion blender or in batches in a conventional blender. I pulse slightly to leave it a bit chunky, but this is my preference. Stir in cream or coconut cream if using.
How to Serve Tomato Basil Soup
The options are endless when it comes to pairings for this soup! Here are some of my favorite serving suggestions:
A Step-By-Step Blueprint For Making Money Online, That Is 100% Dummy Proof!
GET EASY FREE TRAFFIC + AFFILIATE OFFER = COMMI$$IONSGet The Simple Traffic Blueprint Now!
- Warm bread – can’t go wrong with a slice of seedy or sourdough bread!
- Crackers – use store bought or try my superfood crackers
- Grilled cheese sandwich – if you thought grilled cheese was for kids, think again!
- Grilled protein – this soup pairs with just about any grilled protein.
How to Store Leftovers
One of the best things about soup is that you can make one batch and have healthy meals all week long! After allowing your soup to cool slightly, place in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. You can also freeze this soup for longer storage!