Friends! It’s been a minute since I’ve posted meal inspiration because hello, we moved to Denver!
We’ve been spending our free time soaking up the sunshine, hiking, and exploring new restaurants in our exciting new city. The biggest news I have to share that actually doesn’t feel so big to me is…I started eating meat again!
As a refresher, I grew up eating meat and had a very “normal” diet. I was vegan for part of college, which is also when I was struggling with disordered eating. I then followed a plant-based, pescatarian diet for ten years. I’ve always loved seafood, but I never had much of an interest in meat until I was pregnant. My mom always thought was transformation was funny considering the meal I requested when I came home my freshman year of college was meatloaf.
Fast-forward to this past winter when I was suffering from insane fatigue. It felt like I was pregnant again but I knew I wasn’t. I saw my doctor for blood-work and discovered my ferritin, or long-term iron stores, were low. I started taking an iron supplement and struggled with the super uncomfortable GI side effects.
At my friend’s wedding in Montana a couple weeks later, I ate a burger. There wasn’t much to it–I saw it, it sounded good to me, and that was that. I didn’t want to overthink it. And honestly, this freedom felt like a breath of fresh air in my life. I’ve learned that boxing myself into a a diet label can be stressful, confusing, and guilt-inducing.
It definitely feels strange at first and kind of, against my identity? But if there’s one thing I’ve learned in the last couple years after making some of most drastic shifts of my life, it’s that change is good. And living in a way that sets my soul on fire and feels so damn true to the core of my being is the only way I want to live.
I am a dynamic, fluid human. I will continue to be transparent about the changes in my life as I know they’ve inspired many of you to make your own changes. I will continue to evolve and I hope you challenge yourself to do the same. Ultimately, what we eat should not define or divide us.
Here I am, no longer working in the restaurants I thought were my entire life, no longer in the state I lived for 32 years in, no longer a vegetarian. All things I didn’t see coming.
And guess what? I’ve never felt more home in my body and my life.
You may be thinking, is she going to start posting burgers and chicken?! I don’t think so, considering I don’t even know how to cook those things (LOL). Like so many situations in life, this is an and, not an or. I can enjoy meat when it feels right for me and also post plant based recipes.
A big batch of my summer quinoa salad for the win!
This dark chocolate bar from Trader Joe’s is absolutely beautiful if you love super dark chocolate like I do.
Fajita night is the best night.
Blueberry banana muffins with a couple handfuls of spinach blended into the wet ingredients. I’m working on a new banana spinach muffins recipe to share! So good slathered with tahini.
I can’t stop with steel cut oatmeal slathered in tahini and topped with juicy local peaches. Salt not optional!
A Step-By-Step Blueprint For Making Money Online, That Is 100% Dummy Proof!
GET EASY FREE TRAFFIC + AFFILIATE OFFER = COMMI$$IONSGet The Simple Traffic Blueprint Now!
My second hamburger in a decade. This one was enjoyed al fresco at my parents’ house with all the best cookout fixings.
This strawberry pineapple banana smoothie (plus spinach) is the most refreshing. Mmmmmm.
Have you made my s’mores cookies yet? Little dream clouds1
This is my favorite cold brew combo lately. We’ve been sooooo exhausted every day since moving to Colorado, so this helps.
Whole wheat pita stuffed with tuna salad and topped with arugula and banana peppers. Potato chips on the side!
White Pie’s Sicilian pizza has my heart forever. This is the Spicy G with house red sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, pickled chiles, spicy honey, ricotta, and poppy seed crust. We keep wanting to try new places but it’s too good!
Divine sweet and savory pastries from when we visited Breckenridge for the weekend. Plus Max’s pouch.
Over easy eggs with salted peach tahini toast. Major yum.
Things I’m Loving Lately
- We enjoyed The Bear so much! The food preparation was art, and the characters were so likable. It hit home and brought back a lot of restaurant nostalgia. It was vivid and raw and stressful, which the food service industry very much is.
- These outdoor rockers are the best. We got two for our front porch. They’re comfy and really nice looking.
- I can’t stop with Beam’s Dream Powder as a nightcap before bed. It tastes like hot cocoa but has CBD, magnesium, and reishi–all the things to help me fall asleep and stay asleep! Use code HUMMUSAPIEN15 for 35% off your first order.
- I’ve been devouring Abby Jimenez books. My favorites were The Friend Zone, Life’s Too Shortand Happily Ever After Playlist. I loaned them all on Libby, which totally changed my book-reading and listening life.
- Klorane dry shampoo. I’ve tried a bunch, but this is my favorite so far.
- Great salt and pepper grinders. Ours were breaking and I love the look and price point of these!
- Cocofloss is the best floss ever and basically the reason I floss. It gets so much out of your teeth that you can’t not. Love the natural ingredients, too.
- I’m obsessed with these baby/kiddo pajamas. They’re a great material and super stretchy. I think they’ll fit Max for a long time!
What are you eating and reading and listening to lately? Drop a comment with something you’re loving!
Free Gift With Our Newsletter
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe